Monday 27 February 2012

Its Here-Clayton Velo Spring Classic

Hi Guys,

I feel like I have'nt blogged in ages and I should have really found more time in amongst the madness to get on here and inform you all of the exiting things that are going on. 

Firstly our team bike was unveiled by Onix Bikes, I think you will agree that the bike looks class and it is obvious to see just how much time and effort the guys at Onix have put into it. The bike has been designed an tested in conjunction with the ledgend that is Rob Hayles. This is a huge boost for the brand and also the team.


With race day looming, a week prior to the Clayton Velo Classic we had our second team bootcamp. This weekend was packed with road rides, race scenarios and drills, turbo sessions, and many lessons learnt.

Now on to the first race of the 2012 season, the Clayton Velo Spring Classic. Throughout the week leading upto the race I was unbelievably nervous. This wasnt even because of pressure from the people around me but pressure from within myself. I hadnt a clue how fast I was feeling leading upto the race because there is only so much you can find out riding alone.

Race day was here, I was up at 6. Nice and early to ensure I was ready to perform. We travelled to the race headquarters in Clitheroe for half 8. We were met there by the rest of the team and the managers. Here we were greeted with a new set of wheels thanks to Craig Middleton from Onix bikes, tyres from Schwalbe and a bundle of kit and a kit bag from Ken Jones. 

We got changed, signed on, attended the rider briefing and then I jumped on my Mountivation bike to ride to the start. Me and the rest of the team lined up on the very front of the start line. We set off onto the 4 mile circuit riding through and off for the first 4 laps. 

After the 2nd sprint lap on lap 4 Maxgear rider Chris Lawless attacked. Me and Tom Armstrong responded quickly and were soon riding as part of a 3 man break. We gained a maximum of 1 minute to the other juniors and 5 minutes to the Elite/Pro peleton. Lawless attacked away from me and Tom leaving us chasing until 3 laps to go. We were then caught by the Pro group with Lawless still out front.

Picture By Caitlin Flynn


Me and Tom settled into the group and started to rest. The pace was increasing lap by lap and me being nieve i tried to get into a split with some of the pro riders. As the pace quickened me and Tom were soon dropped after our early efforts took their toll. Lesson learnt we rode steady to the finish.

This was a great experience and a huge learning curve. I think that the team definetly made their mark on the race and were noticed by some big names. The team did an awesome job of shutting down the junior group once we had riders up the road and were active throught the race. James King managed to finish as first junior in 16th place overall. 

Thanks for the continued support from; MOUNTIVATION, Phil Leigh, Gary Sadler, James King, James Knox, Josh Knights, Jack Sadler, Tom Armstrong, Craig Middleton (Onix Bikes), Henry Iddon (Photographer), Ken Jones (BioRacer), Schwalbe (Tyres), CNP (Nutrition). 

Thanks for reading,

Matt.
Mountivation Junior Academy.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment