Tuesday 24 January 2012

Back to the track and 1st Boot camp!



Hi Guys,


Been a few weeks since I last wrote on here. Been extremely busy times leading up to the 2012 season. Now with all my exams over until the summer I can crack on with my preparation for the season.


This weekend just gone was my first boot camp with the new team, where we were based in Arnside (near the sea!). The Friday night of the boot camp I rode my first track league in over a year! Jumped on a new bike with a borrowed skinsuit and off we go, straight into group 4. My first race was a 20 lap points. Under the experienced instruction of Gary Sadler I took to the track. All I had to do was score in all the sprints. I took the first by a good few bike lengths and went on to win the race. I was just happy to be riding the track again but I went on to win 2 races, a 2nd and a 3rd. 


So, on to the camp. Day 1 we were at the youth hostel kitted up and ready to go for 9am to be out on the road for half past. We headed out towards the Lyth Valley for some specific training. This involved race scenarios, team TT, standing starts and leadouts. All of these sessions allowed us to bond as a team really well. After the 3.5 hours we headed back to the youth hostel where we (the riders) would be making the lunch. We were given our ingredients and told to make something! We managed to make enough pasta salad for lunch and dinner!


After the lunch had settled we were scheduled to jump on the turbo's. A hard session and a shower later we sat down to a kit bag session where we outlined the crucial kit bag contents. Also a talk from Phil Leigh outlining the importance of progression and the 10,000 hours of training. This was a truly fascinating talk and really motivational! Dinner made for the team and then another talk on our expectations of the Clayton Velo and Eddie Soens early season races. Now off to bed.





Day 2 and we were up at 7.30 to make breakfast for the riders and support staff. More quality team bonding and some important cooking lessons, what teams teach riders to cook?! This emphasises the importance of this Academy. Next we tidied up, got kitted out and jumped on the bikes for a 4.5 hour ride. Late down for the ride and a telling off later we had learnt a lesson and  headed out to Capernwray and into the hills! No ride out is just a ride on the bike and every session we do has a specific purpose. We were to be doing torque efforts on the climb, race scenario practice, wheel changes and cornering/descending. All with the support of Phil Leigh, Gary Sadler, Julian Rudd, Ken Jones, Mike Jackson and Henry Iddon. Thanks guys! These sessions completed we headed for a water bottle fill up and then crawled back to the hostel with a 200m sprint in the middle as we got close to home. Totally savage ride! After showering and preparing bolognese for lunch the second turbo session of the weekend loomed. But first we had an introduction into foreign languages with Julian. This was an extremely useful lesson as I hope to race abroad as every cyclist does.


Next, to the turbo. 40 minutes of pain later and we were all on our knees! Straight off the bike to be weighed and have a calliper test done on each rider. Off for a shower and then to a session with team mechanic Mike Jackson. Mike outlined the importance of looking after our team Onix bikes and how they could earn us a living one day. With this session done and dusted we were to make the final meal of the camp and debrief.


A class weekend all round. Feel like I learnt more in this one weekend, than I have learnt in my 18 months as a cyclist, about the sport and my personal capabilities and potential. Couldn't wait for my rest day!


Thanks for taking the time to read!


Hasta Luego,


Matt.

1 comment:

  1. Matt,

    I am really pleased to see that you have progressed onto a set-up with such quality and experience at the helm.

    Listen well, race hard and enjoy it all (but not too much!)

    I'll be checking in from time to time to see how the results are coming along.

    All the very best,

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete